Saturday, April 26, 2008

I hate it how people nonchalantly talk or joke about cancer. I hate hearing the word. I hate seeing stuff about Relay for Life. I hate how all these made-for-tv movies about overcoming the bump in the road that is cancer. It's not just something you triumph through. It's not pink ribbons you put on your backpack. It's seeing a parent hovered over the toilet for weeks at a time. Watching the people you love most become vulnerable.

But I could never say this to anyone because it sounds like I'm a bitch. So I put up listening to all the commercials and fundraiser announcements, when all I want to do is forget.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel.

Anonymous said...

My mom was just diagnosed with cancer. I know exactly how you feel. I picked up a pink ribbon pin and asked my mom if she wanted to wear it, and she said she hated them. She hated being reminded of it and hated people knowing and thinking lifetime movie thoughts. I hated having to take her to all the shops that sell wigs and special clothes for her for after her surgery. It's not a triumph all the time, it's a real struggle for all of us.

Anonymous said...

you're not alone.

Anonymous said...

You know, it's not like that for everyone. I'm sorry it annoys you and I'm so sorry that you are constantly reminded in a way that is more obnoxious than uplifting. But for some, it's a way to get though. To know you aren't alone and there are people who are fighting along side you. Yes, it is a struggle and the memories persist but in the end, laughter through the tears is what helps us overcome the most.

Anonymous said...

I fully understand where you're coming from. I understand 100%. It is so hard, and then having constant reminders everywhere just makes the pain worse; however, I must say fight against it. Do not let the situation or the the things in the world get you down. I did it for so long, and it sent me to such a dark and bad place. I hope you can find the strength during this hard time of life because it is hard and it does suck, but I promise you that you're not alone.

Just keep hanging in there; and I hope everything will work out for your family, as I keep hoping that it will for mine.